The Word Is Starting To Get Out - There Is A Grown-up Side To Wisconsin Dells. Who Knew!
Research conducted by the local Visitor Bureau confirmed that 25% of all visitors to the Dells are vacationing here sans children. Could be young couples, groups of friends, siblings and extended family, you name it.
If you’re wondering what makes it so appealing, the answer is critical mass of entertainment, dining, shopping and lodging options. And, while it may come as a surprise, grown-ups also like going to the waterparks without the kids.
Championship Golf - Natural Landscapes Make for Challenging Courses
Wisconsin Dells is home to seven courses, with a trio of championship courses:
- Trappers Turn Golf Club was designed by Andy North and Roger Packard.
- Wild Rock Golf Club, the newest of the three, is built around and through a former quarry making for some dramatic elevations and was ranked #5 on the 2008 list of Top 10 New Courses by Golf Magazine.
- Cold Water Canyon Golf Course at Chula Vista Resort features both a traditional Wisconsin course and Scottish-style links.
Spa Services - Make Stress a Distant Memory
What’s a grown-up getaway without a relaxing spa service:
Dining - Just what is a Wisconsin Supper Club?
Visitors from outside the state are especially fascinated by the idea of the "Wisconsin supper club." What constitutes a Wisconsin supper club? An expansive bar where you can enjoy that Wisconsin classic, the old fashioned. Well trained, attentive and genuinely friendly staff. Great steaks. Killer wine cellars. Crisp linens. And, of course, the relish tray to kick off the meal.
- Wisconsin Dells is home to the Del-Bar and Field’s at the Wilderness, both designed by a protégé of Frank Lloyd Wright and both with Wine Spectator-worthy wine cellars.
- Ishnala Supper Club overlooks Mirror Lake and it was in the surrounding woods where scenes from the Johnny Depp film “Public Enemies” were filmed.
- House of Embers, where more couples are said to have been engaged than anywhere else in the Dells, has homemade cinnamon dinner rolls that are to die for.
- And the newest of the bunch, Kaminski's Chop House, rivals the best steakhouses of Chicago and New York.
Winery Tours - Yes, There Are Vineyards in Wisconsin Dells Wine and cheese are part of the Dells' landscape:
- Wollersheim Winery, a national historic site, was originally established in the 1840s by Hungarian Count Agoston Haraszthy, no less. It is nestled in the hills overlooking the Wisconsin River Valley and features buildings with incredible character, outdoor seating with views to the vineyard, lovely gardens and a tasting room.
- Fawn Creek Winery is the new kid on the block, with a vineyard carved out of a pine forest. They also hold craft brews each day for tasting for those who do not fancy themselves wine tasters.
- Pair your wine finds with some award-winning artisan cheese from the Market Square Cheese store.
Shopping - Boutiques and Designer Labels
Sure, Wisconsin Dells is known for charming fudge shops and fashionable moccasins, and we encourage you to shop there, but the community is also building up a nice base of boutique experiences:
Environmentalists - Leave a Lighter Footprint
The International Crane Foundation, the only place in the world to see all 15 species of cranes, hosts a series called “An Evening with the Cranes." Along with a guided tour and wine and cheese reception, the real highlight of these evenings will be the chance to meet environmental legend and Foundation co-founder George Archibald. Dr. Archibald, one of Jane Goodall’s Conservation Heroes, is featured in her recently released book, “Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink” for his tireless efforts on behalf of the world’s cranes and wetlands.
Gaming - Vegas of the Midwest
It’s a favorite pastime for lots and Ho-Chunk Gaming, Wisconsin Dells offers lots of choices, including 24-hour slots, bingo and blackjack. For those who have more of the high-roller in them, there is a high-stakes blackjack room.
Nightlife - Clubbing in Wisconsin Dells is Alive and Well
Stay out as late as you like in the Dells:
Fishing - Even if the Big One Does Get Away
Some of the best fishing in the state is on the Lower Dells. Just ask the experts at River’s Edge Resort, where you can rent fishing boats, buy bait and even make arrangements for a fishing guide. They’re so into fishing, they host not one but two walleye fishing contest each year - one in the spring and the other in the fall.
Extreme Sports - Cowabunga!
Wisconsin Dells is home to not one but three zip lines:
- The one at the Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort takes riders over the tree canopy of Lost Canyon behind the resort. The zip line is really five lines suspended between six towers, with the last run being the longest at 900 feet in length and the fastest with riders reaching speeds of up to 30 mph.
- BigFoot Zipline Tours is comprised of seven lines strung across 30 acres, making it the largest in the nation. Riders will take in especially scenic views as they glide over the attraction’s four water crossings.
- Chimney Rock Park Zip Line Tours - Vertical Illusions features an eco-friendly tour a half hour north of the Dells.
- For adrenaline junkies, they should also check out parasailing on the Wisconsin River and wakeboarding on Lake Delton.
Waterparks - It is “The Waterpark Capital of the World!®”, After All
Grown-ups like to experience the waterparks, especially the extreme rides, without the kids in tow:
- Stay at one of the large waterpark resorts, like the Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort, where you can reserve a poolside cabana in their Wild WaterDome. The cabana comes complete with VIP service, wi-fi, televisions, bar, air conditioning and really comfy seating. The 70,000 square foot WaterDome features a state-of-the-art Foil Tec roof that allows you to tan indoors year-round, so remember to pack the suntan lotion.
- Kalahari Waterpark Resort Convention Center has luxury digs too - choose from indoor waterpark cabanas or outdoor waterpark bungalows. Either way, you’ll have a flat screen TV, refrigerator, chaise lounges and table all to yourself.
Accommodations - Literally Thousands of Choices
Wisconsin Dells has 8,000+ hotel rooms, and some are tailor-made for grown-up getaways: