Want some facts about the Wisconsin Dells area? We've got them right here.
Size of Community
Wisconsin Dells, as a destination, is comprised primarily of the City of Wisconsin Dells and the Village of Lake Delton. Totaling just over 19 square miles, this destination has 5,600 permanent residents, but can host over 50,000 guests per day.
The Dells welcomes approximately 3 million visitors annually. During peak periods, it hosts 55,000 visitors per day.
Travel expenditures in 2010 topped the $1 billion mark for the fourth year. The exact total was $1.057 billion, an increase of 2.8% from the year prior.
There are more than 20 indoor and outdoor waterparks and water playgrounds, and 200+ waterslides, requiring approximately 16 million gallons of water.
The Wisconsin Dells area has more hotel rooms and lodging options than any other destination in the state, at just over 10,000. There are also 19 campgrounds with nearly 3,200 sites.
With more than 400,000+ total square feet of meeting space, the community hosts everything from large conventions to business retreats.
A sports arena with seating for 10,000 is located at Chula Vista Resort. There is also JustAgame indoor fieldhouse and Poppy Waterman Ice Arena, along with baseball and football fields.
Foodies delight in the 80+ choices, from classic steakhouses to vegetarian to ethnic.
In the spring, temperatures average 45 degrees. In summer the average temperature is 73 degrees, although temperatures can reach into the 90's or even close to 100. In fall, the temperature cools to about 50 degrees. Winter temperatures hover around the 20 degree mark, sometimes dropping below zero, with annual snowfall averaging 30 inches. Inside the waterparks, it's always a balmy 80 degrees.
Wisconsin Dells is centrally located in the Midwest - putting you at the center of everything. Mileage from major cities:
- Madison, Wis. - 53
- Milwaukee, Wis. - 116
- Chicago, Ill. - 188
- Minneapolis, Minn. - 233
- Detroit, Mich. - 466 via ferry route or 680 via Mackinaw
- St. Louis, MO - 417
There are airports in Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago and Minneapolis. By car, take Interstate 90/94. Greyhound and Amtrak also have service to the area.
- Emergency Only 911
- Lake Delton Police, Fire, Rescue/Ambulance, (608) 254-8331
- Wisconsin Dells Police, Fire, Rescue/Ambulance, (608) 253-1611
- Columbia County Sheriff, (608) 742-4166
- Sauk County Sheriff, (608) 356-4895
- State Patrol, (608) 846-8500
- Divine Savior Healthcare, Portage, (608) 742-4131
- Mile Bluff - Delton Family Medical Center, Lake Delton, (608) 254-5888
- Reedsburg Area Medical Center, Reedsburg, (608) 524-6487
- St. Clare Hospital, Baraboo, (608) 356-5561
- St. Clare Urgent Care - Lake Delton, (608) 254-5959
- St. Clare Urgent Care - Wisconsin Dells, (608) 253-8070