Spooky, silly, tasty, tricky, ghostly, pick the adjective that describes the kind of Halloween in Wisconsin you like best, and we guarantee you’ll find what you’re looking for in Wisconsin Dells.
Halloween Attractions in Wisconsin
Time to get off the fence regarding Halloween getaways, unless you’re a scarecrow that is, because this is a holiday with across-the-board appeal. And we’re not just talking candy bars in your trick-or-treat bag kind of appeal, although that is definitely a plus. See which Halloween activities suit you, and feel free to suit up in costume when you do visit - you’ll look right at home during Halloween in Wisconsin Dells.
Ghost Tours of the Dells
- The Ghost Boat “Journey into Haunted Canyon” is an after-dark ghost tour that takes you into an ancient canyon on the rocky banks of the Wisconsin River. Fair warning: Dark things haunt the passages here and shadows move in the moonlight. You’ll depart via haunted boat, hearing tales of lost spirits and ghostly apparitions as the boat captain navigates the jet-black waters of the river. Once at the creepy confines of Cold Water Canyon, you’ll head out on foot, where being afraid of the dark is a given. Only recommended for ages 9 +
- Dells Trolley Tours puts on a Haunted History Tour that’s scary good. You’ll visit a haunted cemetery along the way and the tour guide even uses a ghost meter to search for energy of the spirits. There’s a good chance the stories on this tour will keep you up at night.
Haunted Halloween Attractions in Wisconsin Dells
- Face your fears at The Haunted Mansion, a classic haunted house-style attraction located in downtown Dells. Once you emerge from the dark hallways and are able to catch your breath, grab a bite to eat and a drink to calm your nerves, with lots of restaurants within walking distance.
- The Ghost Out-Post Haunted House has animatronic-filled rooms that deliver a real fright. This Halloween attraction is not for the timid or for young children who are afraid of the dark. With nearly 20 bone-chilling chambers, you’re sure to scream until you can’t scream anymore.
There Are Spirits Here
For grown-ups, if you want to venture even deeper into the spooky, head to Showboat Saloon for a witch’s brew, er, make that Wisconsin beer. It’s said this place is haunted, with a ghost named Molly known to knock bottles of booze off shelves in the basement. Showboat was built in 1907, and 115 years later spirits are still being poured at this classic watering hole.
Kid-Friendly: Best Places to Trick or Treat in Wisconsin
- Downtown Wisconsin Dells usually hosts a trick-or-treating event on October 31st. Participating businesses, marked by a pumpkin in the window, will handout goodies to trick-or-treaters. Pick up a map in the Welcome Center at 701 Superior Street – return your completed map for an extra goody bag!
- The Wilderness Resort treats its guests to lots of Halloween shenanigans during the month of October. There’s a trick-or-treat trail, Halloween cookie decorating, costume contest, Halloween bash, Halloween-themed movies, and more.
- Chula Vista Resort has declared this month “Spooktober,” with family fun offerings including wagon rides, craft classes, costume contests, a Halloween parade, and trick-or-treating on property.
- Mt. Olympus Resort’s Halloween Town will have little ghouls and boys screaming with delight at the pumpkin painting and trick-or-treating in the indoor theme park. For those who can handle a little more scare, head to the Underworld Scare Zone. Runs through the end of October.