The Word Is Starting To Get Out - There Is A Grown-up Side To Wisconsin Dells. Who Knew!
Research conducted by the local Visitor Bureau confirmed that 25% of all visitors to the Dells are vacationing here sans children. Could be young couples, groups of friends, siblings and extended family, you name it.
If you’re wondering what makes it so appealing, the answer is critical mass of entertainment, dining, shopping and lodging options. And, while it may come as a surprise, grown-ups also like going to the waterparks without the kids.
Championship Golf - Natural Landscapes Make for Challenging Courses
Wisconsin Dells is home to seven courses, with a duo of championship courses:
- Trappers Turn Golf Club was designed by Andy North and Roger Packard.
- Wild Rock Golf Club, the newest of the three, is built around and through a former quarry making for some dramatic elevations and was ranked #5 on the 2008 list of Top 10 New Courses by Golf Magazine.
Spa Services - Make Stress a Distant Memory
What’s a grown-up getaway without a relaxing spa service:
Dining - Just what is a Wisconsin Supper Club?
Visitors from outside the state are especially fascinated by the idea of the "Wisconsin supper club." What constitutes a Wisconsin supper club? An expansive bar where you can enjoy that Wisconsin classic, the old fashioned. Well trained, attentive and genuinely friendly staff. Great steaks. Killer wine cellars. Crisp linens. And, of course, the relish tray to kick off the meal.
- Wisconsin Dells is home to the Del-Bar and Field’s at the Wilderness, both designed by a protégé of Frank Lloyd Wright and both with Wine Spectator-worthy wine cellars.
- Ishnala Supper Club overlooks Mirror Lake and it was in the surrounding woods where scenes from the Johnny Depp film “Public Enemies” were filmed.
Consistently named one of the top supper clubs in Wisconsin year after year
- House of Embers, where more couples are said to have been engaged than anywhere else in the Dells, has homemade cinnamon dinner rolls that are to die for.
- And the newest of the bunch, Kaminski's Chop House at Chula Vista Resort, rivals the best steakhouses of Chicago and New York.
Winery Tours - Yes, There Are Vineyards in Wisconsin Dells Wine:
- Wollersheim Winery & Distillery, a national historic site, was originally established in the 1840s by Hungarian Count Agoston Haraszthy, no less. It is nestled in the hills overlooking the Wisconsin River Valley and features buildings with incredible character, outdoor seating with views to the vineyard, lovely gardens and a tasting room.
- Fawn Creek Winery's vineyard is carved out of a pine forest. They also hold craft brews each day for tasting for those who do not fancy themselves wine tasters.
- Baraboo Bluff Winery is the newcomer to the group. As its name implies, the vineyard and tasting room are perched on a hill with breathtaking views of the Baraboo Bluffs.
- Balanced Rock Winery a modern boutique winery that specializes in producing wines from cold climate grape varietals.
- Broken Bottle Winery, the sister winery of Baraboo Bluff Winery. Same great customer service, all new wines with a spacious tasting room with a small town, rustic country vibe.
- Prairie Hawk Winery, where all beverages are hand crafted in small batches and closely monitored from grape to glass to ensure your enjoyment! They specialize in traditional varieties as well as country wines, ciders and meads.
- Pair your wine finds with some award-winning artisan cheese from the Market Square Cheese store.
Shopping - Boutiques and Designer Labels
Wisconsin Dells is known for charming fudge shops and fashionable moccasins, but don't forget about all of the other great shopping choices:
Environmentalists - Leave a Lighter Footprint
The International Crane Foundation, the only place in the world to see all 15 species of cranes, hosts a series called “An Evening with the Cranes." Along with a guided tour and wine and cheese reception, the real highlight of these evenings will be the chance to meet environmental legend and Foundation co-founder George Archibald. Dr. Archibald, one of Jane Goodall’s Conservation Heroes, is featured in her recently released book, “Hope for Animals and Their World: How Endangered Species Are Being Rescued from the Brink” for his tireless efforts on behalf of the world’s cranes and wetlands.
Gaming - Vegas of the Midwest
It’s a favorite pastime for lots and Ho-Chunk Gaming, Wisconsin Dells offers lots of choices, including 24-hour slots, bingo and blackjack. For those who have more of the high-roller in them, there is a high-stakes blackjack room.
Nightlife - Clubbing in Wisconsin Dells is Alive and Well
Stay out as late as you like in the Dells:
Fishing - Even if the Big One Does Get Away
Some of the best fishing in the state is on the Lower Dells. Just ask the experts at River’s Edge Bait Shop & Boat Rentals, where you can rent fishing boats, buy bait and even make arrangements for a fishing guide. They’re so into fishing, they host not one but two walleye fishing contest each year - one in the spring and the other in the fall. For a private and guided experience, try Redbeard Bowfishing. B&H Trout Fishing & Bait Shop – Enjoy scenic fishing while catching high-quality rainbow, brook & brown trout in a quiet pond setting.
Extreme Sports - Cowabunga!
Wisconsin Dells is home to not one but three zip lines:
Waterparks - It is “The Waterpark Capital of the World!®”, After All
Grown-ups like to experience the waterparks, especially the extreme rides, without the kids in tow:
- Stay at one of the large waterpark resorts, like Wilderness Resort, where you can reserve a poolside cabana in their Wild WaterDome. The cabana comes complete with VIP service, wi-fi, televisions, bar, air conditioning and really comfy seating. The 70,000 square foot WaterDome features a state-of-the-art Foil Tec roof that allows you to tan indoors year-round, so remember to pack the suntan lotion.
- Kalahari Resorts & Conventions has luxury digs too - choose from indoor waterpark cabanas or outdoor waterpark bungalows. Either way, you’ll have a flat screen TV, refrigerator, chaise lounges and table all to yourself.
- Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park – Featuring 5 roller coasters, 7 go-kart tracks, 44 slides and one massive wave pool.
- Chula Vista Resort Waterparks - Have fun making a splash or relax poolside in a cabana at this multi-level indoor and outdoor waterpark.
- Great Wolf Lodge – Plunge, splash or float at three adjoining indoor waterparks or outdoor waterpark, each reserved exclusively for guests.
- Noah’s Ark – America’s Largest Waterpark is right here in Wisconsin Dells! Enjoy this family friendly attraction that has over 80 family activities to enjoy!
Accommodations - Literally Thousands of Choices
Wisconsin Dells has 8,000+ hotel rooms, and some are tailor-made for grown-up getaways: