Classic attractions continue to serve as nostalgic staples to the Wisconsin Dells area. Generations of visitors experienced riding an authentic Amphibious Duck or marveled at the ski show on Lake Delton. These attractions have created some sweet memories to share down the generational line. New generations will enjoy the stories but will love experiencing the classics for themselves even more.
What exactly makes a classic “a classic?” Definitions vary, but in Wisconsin Dells it’s a combination of age (as in years in business), timeless appeal and good fun. Let’s take a look at a dozen classic attractions we all know and continue to love:
1. DUCK Ride – Did you know Wisconsin Dells has the largest fleet of these WWII land-to-water vehicles in the country? Now that you do, be sure to take a ride with Dells Army Duck Tours or Original Wisconsin Ducks.
2. Boat Tour – Upper deck, at sunset, aboard a paddlewheeler, you choose the Wisconsin River cruise that best suits you.
3. Tommy Bartlett - Show and Exploratory – The name Tommy Bartlett is nearly synonymous with Wisconsin Dells. The ski show staged on Lake Delton features the iconic pyramid of skiers, and the Exploratory - Interactive Science Center is science made fun.
4. Wisconsin Deer Park – Stroll the forest, feed the deer by hand, and snap lots of pictures. Families have been doing just that for 70 years.
5. Lost Canyon Tour – A quaint horse-drawn carriage takes you through a magnificent mile of cliff-walled gorges. It’s a nice way to cool off on a hot summer day.
6. Mini Golf – Keep score or not, it’s fun either way. Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf has 91 unique holes. Timber Falls Adventure Park is strategically placed in the shade along the Wisconsin River.
7. Noah’s Ark Waterpark – Yes, it’s a classic, given it debuted its first waterslide back in 1980. This year visitors can get their thrills on the new six stories-tall Raja waterslide.
8. Rick Wilcox Magic Theater – This show will wow you. It’s 90 minutes of grand illusions.
9. Go Carts and Roller Coasters – Zip around on the go-cart tracks at Big Chief's Go Karts and Adare Go Carts. Then zoom up and down on roller coasters at Mt. Olympus Theme Park and Timber Falls Adventure Park.
10. Old-Time Portraits – We’ve heard that some like to line their rec rooms with annual portraits taken at Prof. Porter’s Old Time Portraits or Old Abe’s Old Time Portraits.
11. Big Sky Twin Drive-In Theater – Settle in for a double feature and don’t skimp on the snacks from the concession stand.
12. Engine No. 9 at Timbavati Wildlife Park – While this attraction is new by “classic” standards, there is a classic element here – it’s the Engine No. 9 train, saved from the Old Fort Dells attraction, that takes you through the park for up-close encounters with the animals.