Now that autumn is officially here – and the colors couldn’t be more magnificent – what are the best ways to soak up the scenery and get the most of your seasonal getaway? We make that part a breeze with this list of “10 Ways to Maximize Fall Fun in Wisconsin Dells.”
- Scenic boat tour on the Wisconsin River. This is an activity for the ages. Such a quintessential Wisconsin Dells attraction that is even better in the fall, if that’s even possible.
Spooky tip: Climb aboard the Ghost Boat where you’ll depart via boat, navigating the jet black waters of the river while hearing tales of lost spirits and ghostly apparitions that haunt the wild places of the Dells. A shore landing at Cold Water Canyon will take you through a haunted hidden passage full of things that go bump in the night.
- Duck tours on land and water. Watch fall colors breeze by before floating around Lake Delton and the Wisconsin River by booking a tour with the Original Wisconsin Ducks or Dells Army Ducks.
- Horseback riding. Canyon Creek Riding Stables, and Woodside Ranch are both ‘stable’ options. Or sit back in a quaint horse-drawn carriage for a ride though cliff-walled gorges courtesy of Lost Canyon Tours.
Spooky tip: Red Ridge Ranch offers both horseback riding and additional Halloween activities the entire month of October.
- Pumpkin Picking and Train Rides. Riverside & Great Northern Railway is a living museum with a 15-inch gauge railroad. Every Saturday and Sunday in October, children 12 and under can pick a free pumpkin when riding the train. Country Bumpkin Farm Market & Lil’ Bumpkin Play Village fully embraces fall with myriads of activities for the whole family including pumpkin picking, a corn maze, petting farm, and tons of fall goodies to snack on.
- Ziplining and ropes courses. Two words – exhilaration and beautiful! Spend the day surrounded by nature’s beauty and the golden hues of fall leaves. Try both the ropes course and zipline at Bigfoot Zipline Tours. Vertical Illusions-Zip Line/Kayak/Rock Climbing Adventure Center is known for its eco-adventures. Dells Zipline Adventures lets you choose the challenge, either close to the ground or 60 feet in the air.
- Paddle or Hike. Dells Watersports: Full-Service Marina & Boat Rental has kayaks of all sizes along with canoes for paddling Mirror Lake and Lake Delton. If you’d rather stay on land, hiking any of the three beautiful area state parks is always a good choice.
- Winery tour. With six area wineries it might be hard to choose so Dells Trolley Tours are a fun way to enjoy a full wine experience in Wisconsin Dells.
- Golf. Go where the fall colors are on par. Get a feel for the greens at 9-hole courses, then graduate to championship courses, each with its own distinctive topography and views.
- Scenic River Walk. This paved path starts right downtown and, within a few steps, reveals stunning vistas of the Wisconsin River and towering sandstone cliffs.
Spooky tip: Put a little pep in your step with Wisconsin Dells Ghost Walks where you’ll discover the haunted history of the area while still enjoying the scenery along the river walk.
- Fall festival. Join us in downtown Wisconsin Dells mid-October for the annual Dells on Tap festival, where you'll sample beer from over 65 breweries.
Spooky tip: While downtown, make a stop at The Haunted Mansion where they look forward to scaring you.
As for where to stay, try a cabin this time of year to really put you in touch with nature. Sand County Service Company has lots of unique rentals and has been fulfilling fall vacation dreams for more than 25 years. The five-bedroom Log Gables Log House is situated on a pretty wooded parcel, perfect for wildlife watching. Choices abound at Spring Brook Resort, with 80 vacation homes sprinkled across 360 wooded acres. Wilderness Resort has cabins ranging in size from the 1,300 square foot golf course cabin to the 3,500 square foot entertainment cabin.
Spooky tip: Stay at Mt. Olympus this season as it transforms into Halloween Town. Tickets to Ghost Outpost included with your stay.
Click here for all the great fall lodging options.