We’re going to cut a wide swath with this category because grown-up pursuits can take so many different forms. The one common denominator in all these recommendations is that they take place outdoors.
- Try cross-country skiing at Mirror Lake State Park, where there are 18 miles of combination skate - and classic - groomed trails. You can also snowshoe there or hike on trails not groomed for skiing, with the Sandstone Trail and Wild Rice Trail being popular snowshoeing choices. Snowshoeing is allowed anywhere in Devil’s Lake State Park. Here’s a tip: Rent cross-country skis and snowshoes at Vertical Illusions Zipline, Kayak & Rock Climbing Guided Adventures and play in the snow to your heart’s content.
- Cascade Mountain has 47 trails to choose from so go ahead and tackle some of the more challenging runs. The high-speed chair lifts get you back to the top of the mountain in no time. For snowboarders, there are four terrain parks, ranging from beginner to expert. Refuel with food from one of the six cafés at Cascade. At the end of the day, regale your friends with stories of your ski runs over a hot toddy at the outdoor firepit.
- Never been ice fishing and want to give it a try? Lake Delton is a solid choice for catching walleye, bass, northern pike, crappie and bluegill. Devil’s Lake is another hot spot, with savvy anglers catching trout, bass, pike and panfish. If you’re in need of gear and advice, give River’s Edge Bait Shop a call and they’ll be happy to ‘hook’ you up with everything you need for a day of ice fishing.
- For the adults that wait all year to get out their snowmobiles and gear, you’ll be happy to know that Sauk County has trails that weave throughout the entire Lake Delton and Wisconsin Dells area. Click here to access an interactive map of Wisconsin Dells area snowmobiling trails. If you’re looking for a cozy place to lay your head with easy access to trails, we have a number of lodging options that are located right on the trails and you don’t even need to trailer your sled. Call our Welcome Center at (800) 223-3557 if you’d like more information on those businesses.
- And now for one unexpected suggestion: Swim outside. You read that right, you can swim outside in the middle of winter at Sundara Inn & Spa where there are two outdoor pools heated year-round. And at Chula Vista Resort, guests of their Spa del Sol can relax in the outdoor Hot Springs pool with an adjacent two-story adobe fireplace to keep toasty warm.
Something a Little Extra for Winter Thrill Seekers
If no adrenaline rush is too great, no challenge too daunting, and no blizzard off-limits for you, then this category is your jam. Discover new & exhilarating ways to get your heart racing with thrill-seeking activities & adventures in Wisconsin Dells.
- Forget the bunny hills, there are challenging runs for skiers and snowboarders to conquer at Cascade Mountain. Navigate down 10 different black diamond runs, including the Mogul Monster. Boarders can try out their tricks on the 4 unique terrain parks scattered throughout the hill.
- Can’t put the bike away? Prove you have the stamina and fortitude for winter fat-tire pedaling at the off-road Uplands Loop Trail at Devil’s Lake State Park. This four-mile fat-tire biking trail rises to 200 feet in elevation, a great workout for any fat-tire enthusiasts.
- Ziplining is something you can do all four seasons in the Wisconsin Dells area. Fly high above the snow-covered treetops at Bigfoot Ziplines. You’ll find this winter activity to be quite the exhilarating experience!
- And for the thrill of thrills, there is ice climbing, as in climbing a frozen waterfall, with a guide assist from Vertical Illusions. This outfitter also offers winter ziplining adventures and winter gear rentals.
Interested in something more kid-friendly? Click here to read about Kid-Friendly Winter Activities in Wisconsin Dells.