This story proves there are many ways to absolutely love winter in Wisconsin Dells. We bring you Wisconsin winter getaways for snow lovers, young families with energy to burn, and couples on a search for cozy curl-up spots.
Winter Vacations in Wisconsin
Narrowing down the list of the best places in Wisconsin Dells for a winter getaway turned out to be much harder than we thought. Hear us out as we chronicle weekend getaways in Wisconsin for outdoor enthusiasts who can’t get enough of the snow; followed by winter vacations in Wisconsin for parents with little ones who recognize a good cure for cabin fever when they see it. Finally, Wisconsin winter getaways for couples who find romance in the pure frosty chill of the season.
No Such Thing as Too Much Snow or Ice
Calling all outdoor enthusiasts who relish anything from a dusting to a major plop of snow when planning their winter weekend getaways.
- Winter ziplining at Vertical Illusions starts with a snowshoe trek into a private park, then an eco-canopy tour that uses the natural elevation of the landscape at Chimney Rock Park to give you thrilling views up to 100 miles in the distance—looking for more of a thrill than that? Then give their guided ice climbing experience a try. Bigfoot Zipline Tours is another must for nature lovers and thrill seekers. Zip over snow-covered oaks and pines on seven separate lines.
- Downhill skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing at Cascade Mountain makes for the perfect winter trifecta. Kids 12 and under ski for free when accompanied by a paid adult. Skiers rave about the high-speed Mountain Top Express ski lift. The snow tube park here has five chutes, each 800 feet long. Christmas Mountain Village is another destination for those who can’t get enough of winter skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing.
- Silent sports including snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and winter hiking are just the thing to bring serenity to your cardio workout. Partake of cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or both at Devil’s Lake State Park. Enjoy Mirror Lake State Park for its 18 miles of combination skate- and classic-groomed cross-country ski trails. Rocky Arbor State Park is open for winter hiking and snowshoeing. Winter hiking and snowshoeing are also popular pursuits at Roche-A-Cri State Park.
- When Lake Delton freezes over, ice fishing enthusiasts take to the lake. Stop in B&H Bait Shop for gear and to gab about conditions.
Keeping Kids Occupied
Cabin fever a concern? A trip to Wisconsin Dells is a surefire cure for young families with energy to spare.
- Indoor waterparks. This is the one-and-only logical first entry on this list! If your kiddos are in their toddler years, try Great Wolf Lodge or one of the mid-sized properties like Atlantis Family Waterpark Hotel or Grand Marquis Waterpark Hotel & Suites. For kids of all ages, and that includes the grown-ups in the group too, there’s Wilderness Resort, Kalahari Resorts & Conventions, Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park, and Chula Vista Resort.
- Indoor amusement parks score points for sheer variety of ways to burn off energy. At Knuckleheads Trampoline Park Rides Bowling, for example, there’s a trampoline park, bowling, go carts and ropes course. Tom Foolerys Adventure Park is known for its climbing wall, zipline, ropes course, go carts, bowling, laser tag, virtual sports simulator, and mini golf. Weekend vacationers, the Wild Fun Zone is a third option for you, offering laser tag and 3D mini golf.
- Escape rooms are an ideal shared experience – after all, you’re all in it together as you try to get out together. Both Wilderness Resort and Kalahari Resorts & Conventions have escape rooms right on property. Another themed escape room experience can be found at Booby Trap Escape Rooms.
- Take the kids snowtubing at Cascade Mountain or Christmas Mountain. It’s every kid’s dream come true and much better than the neighborhood backyard hill.
- Reserve a VIP tour at Timbavati Wildlife Park and while away the hours amongst creatures great and small.
- In town for a youth hockey tournament at Poppy Waterman Ice Arena or a basketball tourney at JustAgame Fieldhouse? Head to family-friendly restaurants between games. Your players may already have their favorites, such at B-LUX Grill, Buffalo Phil’s Pizza & Grille, Monk’s Bar & Grill, MACS – Macaroni and Cheese Shop, Moosejaw Pizza, and Uno Pizzeria & Grill.
Weekend Getaway for Just the Two of You
There’s a definite romantic side to Wisconsin Dells in the winter. Slow down and savor the moment.
- This is the season to spa to your heart’s content. Take an extended weekend spa getaway to destination spa, Sundara Inn & Spa, where the outdoor pools are heated year-round and there are hiking trails that wind through the woods. A number of the waterpark resorts have day spas – visit Spa Del Sol at Chula Vista Resort or Spa Kalahari & Salon at Kalahari Resorts & Conventions. One more to try – Spa Serenity is a day spa in nearby Baraboo with a definite feel of a luxury retreat spa.
- Do a little supper clubbing during your weekend escape. You’ll love the fare at Del-Bar, with its cozy distinctive Prairie Style architecture and outstanding menu. Same goes for Field’s at the Wilderness. Enjoy views along the bank of the Wisconsin River when you dine at Kaminski’s Chop House. Other famous supper clubs in the area include House of Embers, Copper Oak Steak House, and Double Cut Steakhouse. Two more to get on your dining list are The VUE – Waterfront Dining & Bar, a waterfront dining experience on the Wisconsin River, and Trappers Turn Golf Club, a lovely spot for Sunday brunch before you head out of town.
- Warm up with wine at local wineries including Balanced Rock, Baraboo Bluff, Broken Bottle, Fawn Creek, and Wollersheim Winery. We think you’ll be surprised at just how good these Wisconsin wines are.
- Some of the best log cabin getaways are in Wisconsin Dells. Sand County Service Company can assist with finding just the right cabin among their extensive inventory of pretty cottages and cabins.
Convinced that Wisconsin winter getaways are worth their weight in gold, err, make that worth their weight in snow? Then wrap up the details of your next weekend escape to Wisconsin Dells with a deeper dive into things to do - just check the “year-round” box in the left-hand Season column and you’ll be well on your way.