Mother’s Day Gift Guide
Still searching for a Mother’s Day gift she’ll actually love? How about a Mother’s Day experience instead – a full day of the things she enjoys doing most.
A Mother’s Day experience in Wisconsin Dells has a lot going for it, starting with the element of surprise… hello, Wisconsin Dells for grown-ups! Tell Mom you have Mother’s Day weekend all mapped out for her, with chef-prepared cuisine, a spa visit, winery tour, and shopping all on the itinerary. Trust us, she’ll love it.
Delicious Brunch Offerings
While there is the joy of cooking, as that famous recipe book title suggests, there is also the joy of letting someone else do the cooking. Mom will be thrilled to let a chef take over and the bonus is no kitchen clean-up. Mother’s Day brunch options, each so very delicious, include Trappers Turn (the seafood selection is impressive), Chula Vista Resort (if you are a breakfast person, sample the savory and sweet galettes and the made-to-order omelets), and Kalahari Resort (ah, the dessert station, filled with petite fours, tiramisu, panna cotta, and chocolate mousse).
Tranquil Spa Treatments
There are many reasons why mom deserves, make that “needs” a spa treatment. Here are five spas to consider, starting with one that even has “serenity” in its name:
- Spa Serenity Located in nearby Baraboo, this day spa is known for its signature massage, a 90-minute customized treatment that incorporates hydrating shea butter. Pair with the ultra-hydrating 90-minute signature facial.
- Spa Kalahari & Salon Start with a halotherapy salt therapy session followed by an herbal detox treatment to lighten the load of stress and environmental factors.
- Spa Del Sol and Pink Nail Bar at Chula Vista Mom will want to linger at this spa, given its beautiful outdoor hot springs area and extensive treatment menu and nail bar. She’d probably love a manicure/pedicure-kind of afternoon here.
- Sun Mountain Spa Branch out at this day spa with an energy alignment reflexology treatment during which the therapist uses compression on the reflex points on the feet to aid in relaxation and improve circulation.
- Sundara Inn & Spa Treat mom to a full spa immersion at one of the most decorated spas in the U.S. As a day or overnight guest at this adult-only spa resort, the possibilities for relaxation are nearly endless, with indoor/outdoor heated pools, complimentary yoga and meditation classes, hiking trails through the 80 wooded acres, and the latest in rejuvenating spa treatments all on the menu.
Relaxing Winery Tours
Mom will be delighted to discover that Wisconsin Dells has six distinct wineries, with the most historic tracing its roots back to the mid-1800s, so let’s start there.
- Wollersheim Winery & Distillery Arrange for mom to enjoy the winery guided walking tour, sampling nationally acclaimed wines along the way as she learns the story of this historic vineyard perched high on a hill above the Wisconsin River Valley.
- Baraboo Bluff Winery Here’s another winery with breathtaking views, perched on the Baraboo bluff range. Their most popular wine is The Girlfriend, a sweet white with hints of mango.
- Broken Bottle Winery This sister winery to Baraboo Bluff has a light-filled tasting room and lovely front porch, both perfect for sipping their signature wines.
- Balanced Rock Winery This modern boutique winery is situated at the doorstep of Devil’s Lake State Park. Their wines are made from cold hardy grape varietals, giving them an expression of the climate and soil in the area. Oh, and they also have an onsite driving range!
- Fawn Creek Winery Tucked back in the woods, this winery offers reds, whites, fruit-forward grape wines, and seasonal wines. They’re also known for their live music venue, an open-air stage within steps of the tasting room.
- Prairie Hawk Winery For the mom who’s interested in trying ciders, wine cocktails, and mead as well as wine, she must get to Prairie Hawk Winery during her Dells visit.
Lovely Shopping Finds
A little retail therapy with an emphasis on artistic and from-the-earth finds will do wonders for mom. The landmark Winnebago Gift Shop has home décor items for every season. She’ll be wowed by the hand-carved wood pieces, pottery, and Native American artwork at Watson’s Woods. For a natural mood lift, have mom select a beautiful floral arrangement or green plant from Thompson’s Full Bloom.
One More Hidden Gem to Consider
The International Crane Foundation opens on May 1 for the season. This is the only place in the world to see all 15 species of cranes. After viewing the cranes, considered a symbol of beauty and harmony, mom can hike the nature trails and browse the nature-themed gift shop.