Wisconsin Getaways for Girlfriends
Staying in touch with girlfriends near and far often means getting a date on the calendar for a Wisconsin girls’ weekend. Turns out Wisconsin Dells is one of the best girlfriend getaways in the Midwest. Time to pick up where you left off since the last get-together.
Think about your circle of girlfriends and what they like to do on a getaway. Are new adventures the must-have for some, while others in your group prefer to use the time to simply relax? Maybe there’s a master shopper among you, or a wine devotee, or a burgeoning golfer. There is probably one given which is lots of conversation over good meals. This list is your mix-and-match guide to a great Wisconsin girls getaway.
For the Active Types:
- Paddle sports at Mirror Lake: This “slow no wake” lake is a paradise for paddlers. Rent stand up paddleboards, kayaks, or canoes at the Dells Watersports location here.
- A game of golf: In Wisconsin Dells, there’s The Woods Short Course at Wild Rock, a 9-hole course with great views and an island green where beginner golfers can work on their game. Fairfield Hills Golf Course & Driving Range gives you the option to play 3, 9, 12 or 18 holes. Arrive early to take some practice swings on their practice putting green, practice bunker, and driving range.
- Hiking at Devil’s Lake: With 29 miles of trails in the park, ranging from easy paved pathways to rocky ascents to test even the fittest among your friends’ group, this state park is a hiking bonanza.
For the Foodies:
- Winery tours: Do you and your friends know that the Wisconsin Dells area is home to six distinct wineries? This could be a Wisconsin girls weekend unto itself. The historic Wollersheim Winery offers spectacular vineyard views and national award-winning wines. Also on the list are:
- Tour a lavender farm: New Life Lavender and Cherry Farm is a feast for the senses. Start with one of their farm-to-table tours to see firsthand how sustainable agriculture works. Then return to the farm store for a sampling of their signature lavender cherry pie. The boutique is filled with handcrafted bath and skincare products with lavender aromas to soothe the senses.
For the Spa-Goers:
- Zoom-ready facials: Spa Serenity recently opened Pause Facial Bar in their current space in nearby Baraboo, offering a customizable menu.
- At Spa Kalahari & Salon, ask about their new DermaSound Facial, which is a non-invasive ultrasonic facial rejuvenation.
- Summer mani/pedi: Pink Nail Bar at Chula Vista Resort is perfect for girlfriends to enjoy side-by-side pedicures and manicures. Another choice is La Petite Salon & Spa right in downtown Dells.
- CBD Massage: At Sundara Inn & Spa, choose the CBD Body Polish and Massage which incorporates calming lavender and CBD-infused oil to soothe aches and pains.
For the Shopping Pros:
- Gift shopping: You may remember Winnebago Gift Shop from childhood vacations – it’s been in business since 1949. Today the store is filled with on-trend apparel and footwear, jewelry, candles, and seasonal décor. Made with Love is another one-of-a-kind store featuring handmade items from more than 100 makers and creators. Pick up a toy or two for the kiddos waiting for you at home.
- Home décor shopping: Looking to freshen up your home or home office? Then head to Watson’s Woods for carved wood items, specialty furniture, paintings, and yard art. There are antique finds to be discovered at Five Sisters Antiques and Collectibles and the Wisconsin Dells Antique & Craft Mall.
- Scenic Tours: There are tours of both the Lower and Upper Dells of the Wisconsin River at Dells Boat Tours. The Lower Dells tour takes you past some of the Dells’ most famous rock formations and includes narration on the history of the Ho-Chunk people, the raftsmen, and the Lost City of Newport. The Upper Dells tour has two shore landings – Witches Gulch with its hidden whirlpool chambers and Stand Rock with its plume-like pillars of sandstone.
Where to Dine:
- Bella Goose Coffee – Café on the River for breakfast, with espresso drinks, juices and pastries baked fresh every day to jumpstart your day.
- High Rock Café for lunch where the salads are the star – the Esmeralda Salad with garlic shrimp is a perennial favorite.
- Summer House Grill & Bar for afternoon appetizers such as the crispy calamari, Ellsworth Creamery cheese curds, and signature roasted beet hummus.
- The VUE – Waterfront Dining & Bar for fine dining – start with a shrimp cocktail or baked brie, then French onion soup, and finally entrée of salmon in lemon caper butter sauce, all served with incredible views of the Wisconsin River.
- The open-air Riverfront Terrace for a nightcap of wine and some live music, open through mid-September.
Girlfriends Getaway Wisconsin - Where to Stay:
- On the water: The Lake Delton Waterfront Villas have the largest private beach on Lake Delton and can accommodate girlfriend groups large and small.
- At the spa: Reserve a Woodland Retreat unit at Sundara Inn & Spa with a private patio with heated oversized hot soak and fireplace.
- In a vacation home: Log Gables has a variety of homes to choose from, but we especially like Deer Run Ridge, a fieldstone home bordering a state natural forest area, with five bedrooms and five bathrooms.
- In a log cabin: Sand County Service Company rents cozy cottages and log cabins in the woods for a laid-back Wisconsin girls weekend.